Thursday, August 30, 2007

What's up with Erica?

Hi! My husband has really taken over our blog lately, so I thought I would share a little bit about what I'm doing right now. : ) I love you Micah.

I am not teaching...almost everyone I run into lately assumes I am teaching and asks what school I'm at. It's kind of funny. I guess that when you get your teaching credential people expect you to be a teacher. Who would have thought? haha. During my time at Pepperdine, I became an intern in Children's Ministry. Through this experience I discovered that I really loved it, and wanted to work somewhere in children's ministry after college. The advice I got at a Zoe conference from a children's minister from Texas was to get my teaching credential, and major in elementary education rather than religion because it would be more applicable. So, thus...I entered the elementary education program at Pepperdine. Once Micah and I got married, he was hired as a youth minister in Whittier, a church which I knew I couldn't be hired as a children's minister. So, I decided that teaching may be what I would have to fall back on because it obviously wouldn't be wise to work at a different church than my husband, and I knew that youth ministry was where God wanted Micah. There was no question about that. Then, we moved back to Fresno and Micah was hired at this amazing church, New Harvest. Through several discussions with some of the leaders at that church they discovered my passion for children's ministry, and now I am doing what I've wanted to do, and didn't think was possible. I love my job, and really feel like I am a part of something important..something BIG. It's amazing how God works, and I feel blessed to be a part of this movement at New Harvest. I'm also doing some private tutoring on the side, and am enjoying working one on one with kids. So, not to worry, I am using my credential...I'm not a teacher, but I am doing what God has called me to right now, and I'm LOVING it! : )

No comments: