Monday, October 01, 2007

Culture: Physical Fitness


On Saturday we joined a gym here in Clovis, Ca. It's called GB3. It's the first time I've ever done this sort of thing. I'm not a very fit person and I don't regularly workout. But now, now that we've spent...I need a return on my investment. We're going to try to get to the gym for an hour four times a week. I'm starting out on the tredmill. Yesterday we went for about fourty-five minutes and I ran 1.5 miles and biked. On their bikes, as long as you pedal you can surf the net. It's a great feature. I checked up on the blog world while I biked! Love that!

Part of the reason I wanted to join a gym is because it's a huge part of our culture here in Clovis/Fresno. Most people here spend an average of ten to fifteen hours a week at the gym. (statistic totally and completely fabricated by my own perceptions) Seriously though, the students I work with are fitness crazy. They won't eat donuts or candy (much) because they know they'll have to work harder in the gym! I was not that way. I was a McDonald's once-a-day kind of guy while I was in High School. So this whole healthy thing, it's new to me. But I know it's better in the long (and short) run.

Check back to see my progress.

No comments: